Saturday, January 5, 2013

My Story--Walking With Widowhood

Dear Readers,

This is the story of my life in experiencing and coping with loss.  It all began when I was eighteen years old.

My Mother died of terminal liver cancer at thirty six years leaving my Father, two younger siblings and myself.  Little did I know that this experience helped prepare me for what was next in my life.  For some strange reason I thought that one big loss would be all that a person would be required to handle in life.

My Mother
Connie 18 Years Old--Day After Mother Died
 A huge surprise came when I was twenty five years old, my husband of almost five years of marriage died from treatments of terminal cancer leaving me widowed with two small children from our marriage.  
Connie And First Husband Three Years Before Marriage
We were high school sweethearts four years before our marriage.  He died three and a half months after diagnosis.  This year marked twenty five years ago that he passed away and would have marked our thirtieth wedding anniversary.

Connie And First Husband's Engagement
Three years ago, my second husband died with terminal cancer leaving myself (age 47), our daughter from our twenty year marriage and my older two children that he raised with me.  He died eight weeks after diagnosis.
Connie And Second Husband
 It seems that something like this happens to "the other guy", not me.  I remember feeling a "cold chilling" feeling throughout my body as a shadow of shock walked into my life.  There are so many emotions and feelings on this walk of loss that it is very overwhelming to say the least. 
Connie, Brother And Father

Losing my Mother thirty three years ago has been very difficult for my Father (who passed away a year ago today with terminal cancer), siblings and me.  Something I learned right away is how different we all are in handling this kind of experience. 

As I walk this road of loss, it has showed me that we cannot assume that other's will experience these things in the same exact way.  We can never assume that everyone is the same with their coping skills.  We can expect that the experience will change us.

One thing is for sure for most all to feel in loss-- and that is pain.  I can only imagine that this is also true of the person suffering from terminal illness.

Why start a blog?  My life isn't about me but rather it's about helping others out and allowing others to help me out. I never imagined myself putting my experiences out for readers to see until I've had enough people suggest that I write a book and my newest son in law suggested a blog. 

I'm not the first to lose someone and won't be the last.  There is always someone that has it worse and my intentions are not to suggest that I have it harder than anyone else.

If you are walking the road of loss, maybe as you stop by "Connie's Corner" ideas, feeling's, and coping skills, etc. can be shared to lighten the load of someone that could use it.

When it comes to losing a husband--well it's different than other losses I've experienced.  The only way for me to find these words is to say that losing my Mother is like an apple and losing my first husband is like an orange.  Losing two husband's by the time I was in my forty's is like a banana.

Perhaps we gather up a basket of fruit as we walk the road of life and add up the losses in our lives only to find that we have gathered something worthwhile.  I've found that the only control I have in my walk is my attitude, expectations and finding choices that move me forward each day.  It's a daily effort to find survival in facing the pain and in turn this pain teaches rich lessons that can change us for the better. 

As we learn survival skills, some days are better than others.  Not facing the walk is probably the worse thing that you can do because grief will follow you as an unwanted friend and can prolong your suffering.

I feel it's better to face the monster of "grief".  Take it by the hand, feel it and start your walk... 

7 comments:

  1. Connie, you have such wonderful insight. You have a wealth of knowledge to share; thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm at the 15 months point after my husband's death. My grief is not the same as it was in the beginning but I can see now that it will never really go away. It leaves a hole in your heart that never heals completely. We do learn survival skills, though, and even find joy again but it's a duller joy---at least for me.

    Thanks for sharing your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jean R.,
    It's just rough stuff in my opinion. I love the moments when I feel like I'm "turning a corner". No matter how long you've been grieving it seems like their are moments or days where you wonder what is up or down with healing and coping.
    Thanks for your comment~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just want to thank you for 'allowing' me to help you out, in some way. I wish I could do more than just read what you've written! I had never before seen a photo of your mother (my wife is her first cousin). You look very much like her. I suppose there's a reason that names aren't mentioned, so I will follow that convention. I say again that you possess a strong spirit!
    Smiles, Pat

    ReplyDelete
  5. So...what can the spouse who is diagnosed with the terminal disease do, in his (her) remaining weeks, to make things easier for the one who will have to live with the loss? I'm sure no one wants to hear the morbid stuff, but were either of your husbands able to do something towards the end--say, fulfill some lifelong dream, or something--to perhaps instill some positive memories that you can look back on now? I hope there is some such thing that you can share with your readers. (Or is the diagnosis of "terminal" only delivered after a patient is already pretty much bed-ridden?) My chances of leaving my wife in this manner are pretty good, and I hope to do anything I can to help her.
    Thanks, Pat

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Pat,

    I'm impressed that you would consider walking down that road of possibilities for it seems like thinking about those things for many are really quite frightful.

    With my three or maybe four experiences of having a close loved one receive the "terminal cancer" diagnosis it seems like the shock was so severe that the loved one was in a denial stage--such that they didn't wrap their minds around thinking about those left behind in leaving some kind of communication for the years left ahead of silence. Time frames of life can be suggested by professionals but really, no one knows for sure in the cases that I've been involved with.

    I've really longed for a "final letter" of communication for those long years that almost stand still in time. I have some friends that ended up being in the same boat of diagnosis a year after Jim died (my second husband) and I just couldn't help but write a letter of suggestions to do the very thing that you have asked about.

    The couple had children ranging from teenagers to young adults. Considering all the missed birthday's, the missed weddings, the missed events of having grandchildren...well the list goes on and on, so I suggested buying cards for those events and sharing some thoughts to save and give when appropriate. It's a powerful gift of love because the person that will pass away must have enough strength to walk down that road of the future of their absence.

    The couple reported to me that they followed this suggestion and how hard it was for the father that was going to die. He was not given a time table and it ended up that he died within eight weeks of diagnosis. The wife did not get a special letter and wishes that she could have received this help because the burdens are so heavy being left alone in raising a family and just alone losing her spouse.

    I also recommend leaving your loved one in a good financial situation. Get life insurance while you are healthy and be very generous even though you won't see a dime. Both husbands thought that they were being generous but it wasn't enough to relieve my financial burdens/worries in this horrible economy over a long period of time. Be very generous--extremely generous, if you get my hint.

    Get your affairs in order sooner than later because I feel like this is the most kind and considerate thing that you can leave behind besides your thoughts and feelings.

    There will be lots of difficult times ahead for those left behind and the sting of not having that companion to work through the trials of life (as well as the joys) are quite painful. The weight of it literally crushes the loved one left behind.

    Honestly, once you bring yourself to do these things it's amazing the peace you will feel. I've tried to get my affairs in order and this is without that dreaded diagnosis. I feel like if I'm prepared that my life will be more meaningful and I will feel peace rather than have that horrible "undercurrent" of avoiding the inevitable. We will all face our Maker so why not face things sooner than later?

    I hope that this is helpful. Thanks so much for asking.

    My best to you,
    Connie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Around two months seems to be pretty standard, between diagnosis of 'terminal' and the passing on. My college roommate (same age as me) lived about 7 weeks after his diagnosis, one year ago. I can only hope that such a diagnosis would make me want to work as hard as I could, in the time I had left, to write copiously for my spouse's benefit.

      I'm sorry to hear that your financial burdens/worries weren't relieved, and I'm guessing that's why you downsized your home?

      Thank you for sharing your ideas.

      Peace and strength,
      Pat

      Delete